What was expected to be a closely contested match between two Kenya Cup sides that have a lot of history behind them, and between them too, ended up being a one sided affair when Kenya Commercial Bank Lions led 15-0 at half time before cruising to a 42-3 win over Mwamba RFC. Kingsley Litali and Calvins Biko landed two tries each with Ken Isindu, Fabian Olando and Franklyne Amiani scoring a try each. Kevin Wambua scored Mwamba's only points from a penalty midway through the second half.

The quarter final clash between Kenya Cup side Nakuru RFC and Kenya Commercial Bank's second string side, the Cubs (who play in the second division Eric Shirley Shield) was to be the clash that provided drama and high octane action from start to finish. This was in the eyes of many the match of the day.

The first half was closely contested, both sides prodding each other. Cubs' prop Keith Kibira charged down an attempted Nakuru clearance, claiming the loose ball and touching down, scoring the game's first points on the stroke of half time .Haroun Lubisia missed the conversion as the Cubs' took an unlikely 5-0 lead into half time.

This try seemingly rocked Nakuru who made several half time changes. Their effort bore fruit when Leslie Ochieng' touched down for the unconverted try minutes after the restart.All square at 5-5, the two side continued to prod each other like prize fighters in a title bout. A Nakuru infringement on Lubisia saw Ray Oruo award the Cubs a penalty that Steve Matioli put away for an 8-5 Cubs lead. Matioli and Lubisia would soon combine, extending the Cubs lead after Lubisia touched down. 13-5 to the Cubs.

An upset was looming at this point but Nakuru's Larry Safari put over a penalty kick that brought the scores to 13-8. Sammy Warui scored a late unconverted try that levelled the scores. 13-13 with a few minutes of regulation time left. The Wanyore missed a succession of penalty kicks as the game went into sudden death overtime.

The first period of overtime yielded nothing as both sides desperately sought the winning points.

The second period would be the turning point; the Cubs lost Ian Indimuli who was sent off. Aggrey Omiyo was on the receiving end of a five man Nakuru overlap, scoring the all important try. Nakuru had completed a famous comeback, booking a semi final date with the Lions courtesy of that 18-13 scoreline.

If this were a boxing match, it would have been decided by a split points decision. That is how tight it was. Well in Cubs..You did us proud