Collins Injera scored four tries as Kenya retained the Tusker Safari Sevens Main Cup title, turning in a masterful display in their 40-19 demolition job of the Emerging Boks in the final.

They started the game on a high, restricting the Boks to their own half but were caught cold when  Lewis Marlon slipped through the Kenyan defence to touch down under the posts. Ashwill Peteers converted as Kenya trailed 0-7.


This try seemed to stir the defending champions into action. Upon regaining possession, Lavin Asego played the ball to the indefatigable Collins Injera who ran fifty yards to score under the posts. Asego’s conversion restored parity at 7-7.

Seemingly rattled, the Emerging Boks lost possession, allowing Kenya to score a second try through Innocent “Namcos” Simiyu. Asego was sure with the conversion.

Kenya 14 Emerging Boks 7.

Ben Nyambu picked up a stray Boks pass, offloading the ball to Simiyu who played in Injera. The Kenya winger was only too happy to do what he does best…score a try. Asego converted.

Kenya 21 Emerging Boks 7.

Kenya retained possession from kick off and squandered an opportunity to extend their lead. They would soon make amends when Injera rode a heavy Emerging Boks tackle to complete his hat-trick. Asego missed the conversion

Kenya 26 Emerging Boks 7 at half time.


Eager to retain the title, Kenya began this half with vigour but were again caught cold when Jacobus Schobart scored his side’s second try. Maarvin Christians converted.

Kenya 26 Emerging Boks 14


Christians soon beat his markers but knocked on on the try line, denying the Boks that crucial try. His side would soon rue this when they conceded a penalty try that Asego converted.

Kenya 33 Emerging Boks 14.


With two minutes left, Biko Adema played in Injera who beat his man to score his fourth try of the match and end the match as a contest. Asego converted.

Kenya 40 Emerging Boks 14.


Dean Scholz scored a late consolation try for the Emerging Boks as the buzzer went.


The crowd broke into shouts of “Okombe!!”, celebrating the 40-19 win over the Emerging Boks.


Kenya team manager, Oscar Osir spoke to ahead of the match and said, “the best two teams have qualified for the final. The Kenyan boys are hungry for the title as they would love to end their sevens season on a high.”


And indeed they ended their sevens season on a high.


Kudos to the losing finalists Emerging Boks who were worthy opponents in the final.

Kenyan captain Humphrey Khayange  felt that Samoa and the Emerging Boks added that extra edge to the 2009 Tusker Safari Sevens event, noting that this was good for the game.


He added that with the Kenyan fans asking for nothing short of victory, they simply had to win this tournament.


Hamilton Raiders won the Plate final with a 19-12 win over Chairman’s select.


Bristol were Bowl winners courtesy of that hard fought 5-0 over Les Bleus Sevens while Japan won the Shield with a 22-0 over Zambia.


Kenya Harlequin FC won the veterans over 35 category with a 17-5 over the RVA Vets. Western Province took the schools title with a 19-0 over Nyanza while Mwamba I won the ladies title with a 54-0 win over Vivi.


It has been three great days of scintillating rugby action. See you again in 2010!