Nakuru RFC, fondly referred to as "Wanyore" by their adoring fans
ended a 45 year wait for the Enterprise Cup when they beat pre-match
favourites Mwamba RFC 34-24 in a pulsating final played at the RFUEA
on Saturday. They last won the cup in 1963.

It was the end of a good run which saw them defeat last year's
champions Kenya Commercial Bank and Impala RFC in the semis and
quarter final. Popularly known as 'Wanyore' Nakuru RFC pocketed
Sh250,000 from the sponsors Zain.

Vincent Mose, the Nakuru RFC full-back and captain received the fat
cheque and trophy from Rene Meza, the Zain Managing Director who led a
powerful delegation from the sponsors.

The full back who also plays for the national seven-a-side team said
the final was quite difficult. "We won because the players were
composed. It is always difficult to come from behind and win against a
classy side like Mwamba," Mose admitted. Nakuru RFC panicked when
Mwamba took an early lead but got back their groove and a change of
tactics ensured the cup was on its way to the Rift Valley.

Although Nakuru RFC had an advantage in the forwards where they pushed
around Mwamba quite a bit, they still took on Mwamba backs. Twenty
three year old former student at Kabarak University Davis Yanga who
was named as the man of the match did the damage scoring two tries on
the right wing.

Some positional changes saw Graham Kombo moved from the left wing to
backrow to partner Che Ikongo and Nick Lango. It was the ability of
the Nakuru RFC forwards to win balls in the line out and rucks which
was the difference in this tightly fought match. Lango was a good ball
carrier while scrum-half Gibson Weru just held onto the ball for a
little bit before releasing to his fly-half Simon Wariuki to kick for

Wariuki matched Asego in re-starting the game hanging the ball in the
air for a long time to give his players adequate time to retrieve.

Humphrey Kayange, the Mwamba captain said the systems and game plan
did not work against Nakuru. Despite a storming start which saw Lavin
Asego miss an attempted drop kick after only 32 seconds of play,
Mwamba were a pale shadow of the side which overran Nondescripts 44-8
in the semi-final.

"We did not play our best match. It is a painful defeat. Nakuru got us
on the rucks and neutralized our backrow. In the second half, fatigue
set in and Nakuru stepped up their game. We were unable to respond,"
Kayange explained.

John Onyango-Mbai agreed. "Nakuru had us on the backfoot, beat us on
the breakdown points and won turn over balls," he stated. Mwamba got
Sh125,000 for finishing second.

Steve Sewe opened the scores for Mwamba in the third minute. Davis
Yanga leveled for Nakuru RFC in the 11th minute. Tito Oduk broke the
deadlock with a penalty for Mwamba in the 18th minute.

As Nakuru gained their footing, Wariuki missed two penalties before
Che Ikongo went over for Nakuru's second try under the posts which
Wariuki converted as they led 12-8.

Collins Injera restored Mwamba's lead with a try in the 31st minute.
The lead lasted only until the third minute of the second half when
Wariuki put over a penalty from infront of the posts.

Four minutes later, Richmond Baraza crossed over from a line-out on
the five metre line to bring back Mwamba into contention. A silly
penalty by Mwamba infront of the posts was slotted by Wariuki to tie
the scores 18-18 for the second time. He kicked over one more in the
55th minute to break the deadlock.

Tito Oduk leveled for Mwamba in the 57th minute. When Yanga scored his
second try in the 59th minute, the writing was on the wall because
Mose kicked and chased a grubber to score and extend the lead 31-21.
Oduk replied with a penalty but Wariuki had the last say kicking over
a penalty with eight minutes left.

Nakuru RFC will now meet Quins in the Posta Pay Grand Slam next
weekend at the RFUEA ground.

Mwamba: 15 Steve Okeyo, 14 Steve Sewe, 13 Humphrey Kayange, 12 Tito
Oduk, 11 Collins Injera, 10 Lavin Asego, 9 Mike Mutuku, 8 George
Mbaye, 7 Louis Kisia, 6 Martin Munyasi, 5 Edwin Machanje, 4 Ayub
Ongoro, 3 Richard Nyakwaka, 2 Salaton Mutwiri, 1 Richmond Barasa.
Replacements: 16 Joseph Oriwo, 17 Charles Maina, 18 Kevin Hamisi, 19
Edward Macharia, 20 Sidney Nderitu, 21 Kevin Wambua, 22 Horace Otieno.
Coach: John Onyango-Mbai.

Nakuru: 15 Vincent Mose, 14 Davis Yanga, 13 Kelvin Otieno, 12 Cyprian
Shimenga, 11 Calvin Otieno, 10 Simon Wariuki, 9 Gibson Weru, 8 Che
Ikongo, 7 Graham Kombo, 6 Nick Lango, 5 Martin Opondo, 4 Edwin Makori,
3 Isaac Nyariki, 2 Dennis Abenga, 1 Alex Omwenga. Replacements: 16
Lawrence Buyachi, 17 Oscar Owuor, 18 Pascal Wetukha, 19 Sammy Warui,
20 Bernard Chirchir, 21 Ronald Lovega, 22 George Orina. Coach: Jotham

Referee: Godwin Karuga, TJ1 Paul Weloba, TJ2 Mwangi Karimi.

Mwamba Cup

Quins II 8 KCB II 5

Quins II defeated KCB II 8-5 to win the Mwamba Cup. The two sides will
meet again in the Posta Pay Grand Slam next weekend.

Quins II: 15 Eric Mweu, 14 Collins Omai, 13 Kelvin Bett, 12 Amos
Agiro, 11 Ben Obengu, 10 John Khakame, 9 Kabau Muruateti, 8 Ken
Kiprop, 7 Kelvin Kinaga, 6 Moses Ochieng, 5 Caleb Otieno, 4 Joseph
Kangethe, 3 Henry Omondi, 2 Ronald Olewe, 1 James Kangethe.
Replacements: 16 Francis Muhindi, 17 Derric Andera, 18 Jackson Muinai,
19 Brian Omino, 20 Fervent Thumbi, 21 Ayub Kimutai, 22 Maxwell Gitau.
KCB II: 15 Oscar Mango, 14 Curtis Katembo, 13 Brian Omondi, 12 Gavin
Makuba, 11 Dedan Omondi, 10 Haroun Lubisia, 9 Billy Odhiambo, 8 Frank
Nabutola, 7 Issa Chibole, 6 Jones Owino, 5 Julian Ochieng, 4 Ian
Indimuli, 3 John Macharia, 2 Ronald Njoga, 1 Haran Okello.
Replacements: 16 Calisto Owade, 17 Dan Ondima, 18 Bryson Sifuma, 19
Victor Andanje, 20 Xavier Makuba, 21 Edward Opio, 22 Kevin Nyausi.
(additional info courtesy of the KRFU Communications and Media team)

Referee: John Bosco Muamba, TJ1 Paul Kilonso, TJ2 Chris Okumu.